Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble Gobble! :D

Dear Friends,

These past two weeks I was ill. I believe it was a cold, probably because everyone at school has also been sick. I will spare you the nasty details about my runny nose, etc. etc. But I will tell you how much Salud loves me. She decided that she would give me the same remedy her mother gave her as a child to make her get better. What is this magical solution you may be wondering? Well it is… Drum roll please… Alcohol! :)

Salud came out of the kitchen with a glass of hot milk, a little shot glass with some cognac in it and an aspirin. After a few minutes of me sniffing the cognac, setting it down and making a face, both Sarah and Salud told me to just drink it. So, I toughened up and gulped the cognac. Sadly it did not make me feel better. I actually did not sleep much that night. I kept waking up every few hours thinking it was morning… and it was not. Darn. At least I gave it a shot… lol get it? Shot… bahahaha

On Saturday John and I went to the Mercadillo. There were less people there but besides that it looked pretty much the same as the previous weekend. We did however enjoy some Churros for the first time while in Spain. They reminded us of funnel cake, except this you dip in chocolate. It was tasty and cheap.

Saturday night- John, Brett (his roommate), Ellen (friend from Northwestern who is living in Jerez) and I found our way to a bar that has free Flamenco shows. We arrived too early (9ish) and the show was not until 11pm, so we walked to a nearby restaurant to get some tapas (small servings of food- sort of like appetizers). We found a table (they were all very close to each other in the center of a plaza- outside) but there were only two chairs at the table so Ellen and Brett found two extra chairs from other tables. We ordered our drinks right away (and they were brought out right away) about 30 minutes later the waitress walked by and asked if we wanted to eat anything, we said yes so she took our order then left. Our food was brought out one plate at a time some time later and it was pretty tasty. We then sat there for over an hour and then finally we had to ask them for our bill. I like that when at a restaurant in Spain one is not rushed to finish and move on. Here people just take their time and enjoy just sitting out side with friends and family. The American in me, however, just gets inpatient and annoyed that I have to ask to get my bill so that I can leave. I want to be more Spanish and just be able to sit at a restaurant for 3 hours… maybe I can learn. :)

After we finally paid for our meal we headed back to the free Flamenco place (up to this point we did not know the name of the place just that it had big red doors). Once we got there and actually went in, we discovered another room where a whole lot of other tourists (who like us cannot afford to pay 37 euros for a Flamenco show) were already gathered. Of course one will not find many locals at a place like this because it is intended for tourists but this… was ALL tourists! I felt like I was in Orange city again… everyone was white. :) The show was short but considering there was only one dancer and it was free- I am not complaining.



On Sunday John, Brett, Ellen and I went to mass at the cathedral. Sevilla’s cathedral is the third largest in the world- how awesome is that? It is not everyday one can say- “Oh yeah, I went to mass at the cathedral today”. I feel pretty blessed to have had this opportunity. Truth is that since I am not Catholic and I have only been to mass once before. I was really lost during the service. I tried to play it cool but really I just stood up when everyone else did and sat down when everyone else did. It was a pretty awesome experience though, the cathedral is beautiful and the service was nice and short. Haha

Last night salud, Sarah and I went to see the movie Amelia. It was a good movie and it was fun to just have a fun night out with Salud. She is very entertaining!

This week was really short. We only had three days of classes. I am NOT complaining about this. We went to Italica today and got to see an old Roman city. It was pretty cool! It was raining this morning so some of my fellow students chickened out and did not go. I have never let rain stopped me from an adventure; my poor jeans hate me now though. There is mud all over them and they are still wet… oops. :)

Well- my calendar tells me it is Thanksgiving today. It is weird because it sure does not feel like it. Today feels like just another day in Sevilla, with a little bit of rain. Our school is having a Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and all. It should be a fun get-together.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and may God continue to fill your lives with love and peace.

Blessings,

Karla <3

1 comment: